Eastbrook Middle School 8th grader, Brisa Mandujano, is the overall winner of the 2012 America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest hosted by the Dalton-Whitfield Solid Waste Authority’s program Target Recycling at School.
The design chosen out of 193 entries includes the phrase, “Recycle, it’s the natural thing to do” which was the theme for America Recycles Day 2011. It features a group of students passing recyclable items, like bottles and cans, to each other and placing them in a green recycling bin.
The winning design will be displayed on two billboards in the Whitfield County area for at least one month. This is the third year of the design contest open to Whitfield County middle school students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade attending either a public or private school that recycles with Target Recycling.
The billboard design contest had a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner from each grade level. The nine students, listed below, received a certificate of participation and a gift bag with America Recycles Day items and products made from recycled materials. (Their entries can be seen at the end of this article.)
- 1st Place – Jessie Zambrano, Dalton Middle School
- 2nd Place – Philip Le, Dalton Middle School
- 3rd Place – Viviana Juijon, Dalton Middle School
- 1st Place – Haley Chapman, Dalton Middle School
- 2nd Place – Karina L. Gonzales, Dalton Middle School
- 3rd Place – Jesus Hernandez, Dalton Middle School
- 1st Place – Brisa Mandujano, Eastbrook Middle School
- 2nd Place – Nicolas Perez, Dalton Middle School
- 3rd Place – Johnny Huynh, Dalton Middle School
America Recycles Day is celebrating 15 years of being a community-driven event dedicated to promoting recycling awareness, commitment, and action in the U.S. For more information on recycling, and to take the pledge to recycle visit www.AmericaRecyclesDay.org.
Target Recycling at School provides recycling collection services and environmental education opportunities to schools in Whitfield County. For more information call 706-278-5001 or the Recycling Page of our website.