(Dalton, GA, October 24, 2017) – Valley Point Middle School 7th grader, Lily Woodring, is the overall winner of the 2017 America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest hosted by the Dalton-Whitfield Solid Waste Authority’s program Target Recycling at School. The winning design will be displayed on two billboards in Whitfield County (one on Glenwood Ave., and the other on E. Walnut Ave.) during the month of November.
Ms. Woodring’s design, which was chosen out of 106 entries, includes the phrase “I recycle! Do you?” one of the themes of the contest. The artwork is an illustration of the Earth surrounded by smiling bottles, cans, and paper holding hands with a girl. They’re joining together to make the Earthy happy by recycling which results in the conservation of natural resources.
The billboard design contest, now in its eighth year, has a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner from each grade level including 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. The nine winners, listed below, received a certificate of participation and a gift bag with items made from recycled materials. The first place overall, who is the winner of the billboard, was selected from the first-place design from each grade level.
- 1st Place – Ruby Carrillo, Eastbrook Middle School
- 2nd Place – Ismael Pimentel, Eastbrook Middle School
- 3rd Place – Melanie Figueroa, Eastbrook Middle School
- 1st Place and Overall Winner – Lily Woodring, Valley Point Middle School
- 2nd Place – Ashlay Zamora, Valley Point Middle School
- 3rd Place – Javier Ayabar, Valley Point Middle School
- 1st Place – Rocio Arredondo, Eastbrook Middle School
- 2nd Place – Yosdel Castañeda, Eastbrook Middle School
- 3rd Place – Isaac Fraire, Eastbrook Middle School
Target Recycling at School provides recycling collection services and environmental education opportunities to schools in Whitfield County. For more information, call 706-278-5001 or visit www.DWSWA.org.
America Recycles Day is a community-driven event dedicated to promoting recycling awareness, commitment, and action in the U.S. thru its partnership with Keep America Beautiful. It’s celebrated annually on November 15. For more information on recycling, and to take the pledge to #BeRecycled visit www.AmericaRecyclesDay.org.